Thursday, December 08, 2011

sundu kala Peter

Long time ago, (in Bethlehem) - 1990s, in the era of Doordarshan televsion (DD) they used to telecast this German TV show for kids. It was called PETER AND HIS TOYBOX. It was about a really old man called Peter who used to visit factories and show kids how stuff was made. My favourite episodes were the ones where he went to the rubber factory where they made chewing gum and the factory where they made guitars. The show was produced by Transtel in German but DD ran it with an English voiceover.  It was the coolest thing EVER. Going crazy trying to find it now on youtube but it appears to have gone into oblivion. The only other people in the world who appear to understand what I'm talking about can be found here

Right at the beginning, when they used to introduce the show, these words (presumably from the original) were audible under the voiceover - "SUNDU KALA PETER"

11 comments:

Anand said...

I missed the entire TV scene during my 1990s ( I was marooned high up in the Himalayas). I, therefore, can not comment

oof ya! said...

i finally discovered him!!! you can see him here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG_hlLJbRiM

az said...

I understand you, mate. This show was aired on Brazil by a public tv network on early 90s. And i miss it so much! Cheers!

Steve Acheampong-Quaicoe said...

I loved this series when i was a kid. Rubber , Rubber is Fantastic . where can we watch it again?

Diego Jourdan Pereira said...

Used to watch it on public broadcat in Uruguay in the mid 80's and loved it!
Tried to find out more to no avail :P

Donna Howlett said...

"Peter wu warzey langa jhuway" was one of the many translations to the program's name of "Peter and his Toy Box". Never used to miss it back then a kid in Lagos Nigeria! Nostalgic

Marxist Leninist said...

This was one of my best shows I the early 90s growing up as a little boy in my village in Africa, it was aired by our national tv (crtv Cameroon)

the money lender said...

Helped me pass several tests and exams without ever reading or studying the topics in class....especially the episode on volcanoes

The Money Lender said...

Peter Lustig is the name to follow up on
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Peter+Lustig

xqube said...

Hi,

The show was also shown here in Dubai,

My favorite episodes were

1- When he gets the frog for weather forecast
2 - He finds a coin in the belly of the fish and then goes on a treasure hunt

chinedu daniel said...

I still remembered the episode where he made a bicycle with wooden frames. It was such fun watching Peter and his toy box in Lagos Nigeria we loved it and never miss watching it.