Sunday, October 09, 2011

sighs

In my youth, way back in college, I used to calculate everything in terms of Airtel-to-Airtel STD calls. 1 minute of an Airtel-to-Airtel STD call was 1 rupee. 1 trip from my house to college by auto was 20 rupees by meter or 25 rupees by haggling. So, in general, 1 auto journey was equal 25 minutes of Airtel-to-Airtel STD calls. 1 cup of masala chai or 1 lime bar was equal 5 minutes of Airtel-to-Airtel STD calling. In my youth, I felt that if I didn't spend on everything else I would be able to talk on the phone forever.

Now, I calculate everything in terms of dialysis money. Dialysis for one month costs about 20,000 - 25,000 rupees. Dialysis for 1 year costs about 3 lakhs, roughly. If we buy a fancy machine, the best-ever most patient friendly type of dialysis is 4 lakhs for the machine and 44,000 per month on maintenance. Right now, if I don't spend a single rupee of my salary for 2 whole months, I can afford dialysis for 1 month.

I am so broke when I start calculating things in terms of dialysis money.

1 comment: