Friday, May 01, 2009

the man with the special chair

He is the only man in my whole office who has a different chair. And he's not even the BOSS.

Everyone else sits on these black and red or black and purple chairs. Cloth covered. Boring boring. But he's special. His chair is fully black. Leather. Oooooh. And he's very possessive about it.

When I was new I once sat on his chair by accident. It's not like I thought, 'Let's sit on the special chair.' It was just that was the closest empty chair to me. So I sat. And then I worked. And then I felt a tap on my shoulder.

'Excuse me,' he said.

'Yes?' I said.

'Will you exchange chairs with me?' he said.

He had found a black and purple cloth chair especailly for me and had wheeled it around the acres of our office, right upto my desk. Glee. How could I refuse?

Another day, another time. Me still new at office. Same old absentminded me, dragged his chair, sat on it.

Tap tap, on my shoulder.

'Excuse me' he said.

'What' I said

'You're sitting on my chair' he said.

2 nights ago in office I was sitting on his chair. He wasn't there. And I realised I was sitting on his chair and I said to my 2 of my colleagues... 'Ooops I'm sitting on his chair , and he's damn possesive about it'.

And they said 'Yes'

And I thought: !!!!!!!!!!!!

And we traded stories. Same stories, same experiences, same chair. And same man. But why?
Who is this man? What does he do? He only comes into office occasionally. He only sits on that special chair. And nobody is really sure what is it exactly that he does.

He's the man with the special chair. We know and love the chair more than we know or love him. What must it feel like to have your chair overtake you in fame and personality?

5 comments:

riddhi said...

Interesting read. Very interesting. presence of such mysterious people in office makes it worth it. Kissa Kursi ka. After all everybody is fighting for the chair aint they? :)

Ghanshyam Nair said...

I want a black and purple chair. Or a fully purple chair. Or a fully black chair. But not a fully red, or red and black, chair.
Basically though, I want a new chair at my office. The one I currently occupy has a weak spine. As a result of which I'm always leaning way back, even when I want to sit absolutely still.
But maybe this black chair at your office has secret powers. Or is a time machine, which only works when that dude sits on it. Maybe it switches on a part of his brain that brings back nice memories or something.
In short, you should let him have his chair.
And heck, why do you have to be the BOSS to have a cool chair?
This is maybe a step forward in the establishment of the post-postmodern egalitarian society we've all dreamed about. With time machines. Beat that.
By the way, the word verification thing wants me to type the word 'bleing'. I think that's a cool word.

Ghanshyam Nair said...

*Even when I want to sit absolutely straight, I mean.

Anand Shankar said...

He is the man with the leather chair!!!

Nicely Done. You are a star!!! I am your FAN and AVID Reader!!!

oof ya! said...

riddhi - hello and welcome to my blog :-)

kk - hey, you're back :-) long time, thanks for stopping by! actually, your'e right, why should only the boss get the special chair? excellent post modern observation on your part. and also, the black and purple and black and red chairs that the rest of us use.... they have this really cool lever that helps you lower the chair and hide really low behind your computer should you wish to escape work. but the special black shair does not have this lever. HA!

Anand- thank you for being my fan and avid reader. finally, you've come out of the closet and admitted it :D